Remember: drying your home and removing items damaged by water is the most important step in preventing mold damage. Its porous nature means that mold particles can slip deep inside the fibers and be impossible to remove. In addition, going through the sabbatical process of mold provides people with a starting point to assess the extent to which they are exposed to mold toxins in general, increasing the chances that they will be able to make safer decisions regarding the future purchase of homes and products. The independent forum and Facebook group Mold Avoiders offer additional help to those engaged in the difficult task of preventing mold.
Often, what happens is that these people are tested in their current homes using ERMI or other methods and then (since the building does well in the test), they discard the idea that toxic mold has a lot to do with their disease or that avoiding mold could be useful for them. Therefore, the sabbatical period to avoid mold is very similar to a trial to avoid food intake, in which even small amounts of gluten or other substances are eliminated from the diet for a set period of time and then reintroduced. Therefore, while some people who avoid mold have reported that their sabbatical periods have been very successful despite wearing their glasses all the time, it may be a good idea to replace them sometime early in the mold prevention process. More information on toxic diseases caused by mold and how to avoid them can be found on the Paradigm Change website.
This approach focuses on removing even small amounts of mold spores and spore fragments from items. Anyone who delves into the online mold community will immediately encounter many people who will insist that all victims of mold must dispose of all their possessions if they are to have any chance of moving toward well-being. However, not all people looking to avoid mold (even “avoid mold in a tent in the desert”) say that everything needed to be disposed of in order to move forcefully towards recovery. Similarly, if mold toxins are capable of attaching themselves to objects in high enough quantities to have a negative effect on people injured by mold, those people may not be able to use those objects without negative consequences, even if all spores and spore fragments have been removed.
The literature makes it clear that toxic mold (including mold found in buildings) has the potential to cause harm to anyone.