Can i safely remove black mold myself?

Homeowners can clean up about 10 square feet (approximately 3 feet by 3 feet) of black mold on their own. If the patch is small enough, a combination of bleach, water, scrubbing and venting is sufficient. Before treating mold on your own, prioritize ventilation and protective equipment. While the substance is intimidating and dangerous, learning how to get rid of black mold isn't that difficult.

With the right protective equipment, cleaning products and know-how, it's entirely possible to eliminate this natural threat. As long as you keep an eye on your personal safety and know the magnitude of the work a DIYer can do, you can get rid of black mold on your own. Distilled white vinegar is an affordable, natural solution for eliminating black mold. Its acidic antibacterial characteristics are exactly what you need to do your job.

Allergic reactions to mold, while they should be taken seriously, are not as serious or dangerous as mold poisoning. It's also good to take some environmental precautions, such as using plastic sheeting to close the room while working to get rid of mold. Calling on a professional team to handle the removal of black mold can be a daunting task, especially if you're concerned about the costs of remediation. Before tackling black mold removal, DIYers should identify the mold and consider the affected surface.

While the serious health effects of exposure to black mold are enough to prevent you from eliminating it yourself, it's not the only reason to call in a team of experts to treat a mold infestation in your home. This particular form of mold spreads quickly, and the spores (think of them as tiny mold seeds) it sends through the air can have serious health effects on everyone within walking distance. Move the brush with strong, careful movements so as not to splash mold onto surrounding areas, even dead mold spores can be an allergenic health problem. If someone in your home has recently experienced an unwavering increase in respiratory symptoms (sniffs, sneezing, lack of memory, congestion, etc.) and you suspect that your home may have a significant mold infestation and you suspect that the affected area may be quite large, you may be facing a serious mold problem.

In addition, if there is mold, you can send the test results to a specialized laboratory that can determine the type of mold and its severity.

Brenda Seemann
Brenda Seemann

Subtly charming social media geek. Friendly social media fan. Extreme travel nerd. Award-winning internet trailblazer. Hipster-friendly social media ninja. Incurable pizza fanatic.